Saturday, June 20, 2009

A card and a quilt


Not a particularly enticing title, but I guess I am not the wordsmith today! It's hot here, and quite frankly, I'm a tad on the cranky side! I have a fun card to share with you all. I don't have a lot of baby sets, and I have one loose stamp from Bella that I already made shower cards with, so I had to think a little outside the box. I borrowed this image from my friend Dawn. It is a Dustin Pike for DRS Designs, and it is adorable. Why can't it be for a baby boy?

I've had three mommy friends all have babies in the last month, so we've been busy with meals, cards, etc. One of our friends, Katie, was the first. She didn't know what she was having, so I had to wait. I thought about making her present to be gender neutral, but that just wasn't going to cut it! So, I waited. Luckily, my sister was in town, and she helped immensely with this project (ok, she did most of it, but I am capable!) And, I had all of the fabric!!

The quilt is made almost entirely with 30s style fabrics, and it is mostly left overs from past projects. They are so fun...I just love them!! The blues and reds are fun together. You actually start the quilt by sewing alternating 5 1/2 inch blocks together in a 4 x 8 pattern (so, it's a rectangle), then you cut on the diagonal to make it into one large triangle and two small right triangles. Then, you sew them back together into a square, so the squares are on point. Confused? Well, it's not as difficult as it sounds.

Close up of some of the fabrics used!!
Card Details:
Paper: Wild Wasabi, Close to Cocoa, So Saffron by Stampin' Up; Printed paper by Creative Memories
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: SU oval punch; SU designer label punch; SU Rubon (chit chat); SU ribbon
Copics: E00, E13, E21, E25, E33, E31, E53, R20, G24, Y21, W2, W4, W6

7 comments:

Kim said...

Wow Nancy that card is just so darn cute and that quilt is beautiful!

Christine said...

Your card is so cute; perfect for a little boy!

The cute is beautiful. I buy quilting things all the time but have never gotten down to making one yet.

Blessings,
Christine

Christi Flores said...

Your card is adorable and I LOVE your quilt!!!

Dawn said...

Nancy... you are the serstion of crafters! i love this card and y'all, the quilt is even better in person!!!
stunning!!!

Cindy Haffner said...

Lovin both your quilt and card, just perfect!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

WOW! That quilt is gorgeous! I have always wanted to learn to quilt! Your card is awesome, too! :)

Abi said...

wow great work!