Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Poinsettia


This is another one of those impulse buys at ACMoore. They had their Sizzix dies 50% off at one point, and I saw this poinsettia die. Well, I haven't really used my Cuttlebug for die cutting that much, and I had my handy-dandy "sandwich" guide for using other dies and I thought "what the heck!" I was finally able to use it today. It was a bit tedious because it cuts three different shapes (a large leaf, a small leaf, and a center). I had to cut 9 large leaves, 7 small leaves, and one center. I used SU cardstock in Ruby Red and Always Artichoke for the leaves. From there, I sponged the edges in the coordinating ink to give some texture. To finish them, I used my clear spica glitter pen to give just the hint of shimmer to it. The center piece is cut from SU's Riding Hood Red. I used my Versamark pen and drew dots in the middle, then I used gold glitter embossing powder on it. To finish this part, I used a dark red glitter pen for the edges.

The size of the card is a bit massive because the pieces of the flower are quite large. I mounted the assembled flower on a piece of paper from my Basic Grey 6x6 Wassail paper pack and ticket corner punched the edges. Finally, I put it on a piece of SU Vanilla card stock for the base. I did have to trim the patterned paper a bit, so the card size is 6x6. There isn't a lick of stamping on the front, but I did use sentiments from an old SU set called Season's Greetings on the inside.
This is definitely a one of a kind card...too time-consuming to mass produce!! Thanks for stopping by and taking a look!

8 comments:

Heather said...

WOW! This is beautiful! I love poinsettias! Great job! I might need to find that die, you enabler you!

Jan said...

Gorgeous card Nancy! That flower is beautiful!

Tenia Nelson said...

A very pretty card!! Thanks for sharing!!

-t

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

This is just gorgeous! :)

Dawn said...

How pretty!!! This card looks even better in real life! I am sure it was alot of wrok... but so worth it! great job, Nancy!

Kelly said...

It is beautiful! I love the little glittery details you added.

Louise, that's me!! said...

This is just beautiful, totally worth the time making it if how it has turned out is anything to go by.

stampin abi said...

gorgeous!